Saturday, March 29, 2008

Frailty Reminder

I was reminded last night how frail Callie really is. It's amazing how easily we get sucked into a sense of hope, even in grave situations as this. Since she was doing better the overall worry was less, the enjoyment was higher; it was wonderful. Then we noticed how much Callie was straining to use her litter. Mike picked her up to check her paws and her breathing became a struggle. We decided that maybe we did want to have her drained again, to relieve some of this pressure for her.

Of course, yesterday was a bad day for her. In the morning I accidentally backed into her and stepped on her. In the afternoon the roomba attacked her. As Mike tells it she was watching the roomba come closer and closer, with a look on her face that said "don't you dare". Well the roomba got her feet and she fled to underneath our bed. Mike got her out and she went on my pillow, and stayed there for quite a few hours.

Then again, last night she came up stairs for the first time in probably a week. Both Mike and I were on our computers and the next thing we know Callie was joining us. Mike picked her up and brought her over to be with him, which she was quite happy to do.

Our vet is open every other Saturday, and a sister vet open on the off Saturdays. Our vet is not open today. I could have called the other vet to inquire about draining her, it just didn't feel right. Callie is such a complicated case that I wanted my own vet's opinion. Yet she seems to be having a miserable day and I'm wondering if this was the wrong decision. She's been camping out in the sun, just resting all day. It's normal for her but something about her face tells me she's not having a good day. Maybe you can see it:


There is one perk to having a sick cat: easy to take pictures. She was sitting like this in the sunlight and I thought it would make a good picture. I ran upstairs, grabbed the camera, ran downstairs and took three shots of her. In her healthy days she would have been gone by the time I came back downstairs.

No comments: