Sunday, March 30, 2008

That Horrible Day Arrived

I woke up this morning to find Callie sitting on the rug in the living room, her ears bent forward more so than yesterday. Mike was sitting with her and trying to console her. He hadn't seen her like this and he agreed with me that she was in pain.

We had some pain medicine left over from when she hurt her paw and gave her one. She perked up a tiny bit. She seemed to be in a druggie daze, complete with the munchies. We decided she needed to either be drained to relieve the pressure or put to sleep. Since Mike had to go into work for a few hours we set up an appointment with the emergency vet. Then I waited with Callie sitting next to me. She was struggling to breathe. At one point her head fell forwards, her nose on the couch. When I moved to examine her she perked up but I knew the end was near for her.

We took her for a long car ride to the vet's office. Our normal vet is two minutes away, the emergency clinic we chose was over a half hour. Callie normally shakes when she is in the car, she wasn't this time. Only a slight tremor in her ears due to her breathing issues. We arrived and she was taken in to be examined. We waited anxiously, at our regular vet we aren't separated at this point so it was nerve wracking. A tech soon came in to say the Doctor was a bit delayed but our little girl had a crowd of 17 fawning over her. The vet came in and reviewed the notes I had from our regular vet. She told us that FIP is a horrible disease and she would support us to drain her or to euthanize her. We had Callie come and join us and we discussed our options. In the end we knew we were just prolonging the inevitable. Sure, draining her could help her out but we'd be back here soon, could even be as quickly as tomorrow. With her in our laps we started to cry and asked her to give us guidance. She purred for a second and stayed on my lap. She wasn't shaking, she wasn't nervous. She was ready.

We were taken into a comfortable room and a catheter was placed in her arm. She came to spend time with us before the procedure. We were given ten minutes, we asked for five. She's had FIP diagnosed for over a month, we've been waiting for quite a few weeks for this moment. It didn't make it any easier.

With Callie on my lap the vet came in and gave her the sedation. An active kitten fell limp into my lap. Then the drugs were administered. Mike thinks she was gone before the they were even finished. And then we were left alone with her empty body. The vet soon came back with a towel since cats have a tendency to lose their bladder. We placed the towel under her and petted her a few more times. It felt like a waste to me, she was already gone, her body was not hers anymore. I moved to get up and noticed the towel didn't work, I had a nice big marking on my thigh from her. Mike says's this was a parting gift. I had to run around the clinic to get myself cleaned up.

We entered the office a family of three; we left with red, blotchy eyes, an empty crate, a final bill, and heavy hearts. We were now a family of two. Ever enriched by the love of our little girl. With us for five short months, in our hearts forever.

Afterwards we stopped at Kohl's so that I could change my pants. I wasn't in the mood to shop so after the first two pairs didn't fit and my pants had dried I decided to let it be. We went out for dinner. For the first time in months there was no one to rush home to, no one to be worried about, no one waiting. The waitress was busy and due to that slow but we didn't care. Once finished we rented two light hearted movies to make it through the night.

Arriving home there was no one to greet us. In the back of our minds we were hoping for a miracle but we knew she was no longer in kitten form. Mike is hoping she'll pay us a visit and be our friendly ghost. I'm a skeptic at heart but I hope Callie is able to meet Mike's wish.

I've called out of work for tomorrow. I've had to, I got a flat tire yesterday and had no time to fix it today. I'm tired, I should go to sleep. But I know I will not have anyone eager to climb under the blankets and curl up by my legs. I know that there will be no one hogging my pillow. No back on my head, no butt in my face. My pillow will be lonely tonight.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

"We entered the office a family of three; we left with red, blotchy eyes, an empty crate, a final bill, and heavy hearts. We were now a family of two. Ever enriched by the love of our little girl. With us for five short months, in our hearts forever."

That's how MH and I felt today, too, when our hamster passed. It's so tough losing a part of the family. *hug*
--smurfybride07

Anonymous said...

I have been following this journey; I clicked over from thenest. I'm glad your sweet angel passed so calmly, and let you know it was time. My heart breaks for you, but I know your sweet Calie is waiting at the rainbow bridge. Thank you for being strong enough to do what was right, and being with her in her last moments.

Michele and Stuart said...

Thanks for sharing your story. My heart truly goes out to you and your hubby, and the rest of Callie's family. You gave her so much love in her short time with you, but I know that she is grateful for it.
Although reading her struggles was very difficult for me personally (my beloved kitty, Rizzo passed away suddenly last week), it has helped me to see your strength. Hang in there, and remember to take time for yourself, and enjoy looking back on the good memories!!

Unknown said...

Laura,
I am sorry that you have lost your precious Callie. My husband and I went through the same thing a little over 2 weeks ago with our kitten Brie. It is a horrible thing to go through and I know although you both will miss her terribly, you made the right decision. I hope that Callie is playing with our little baby Brie right now in kitty heaven. Take care.

Unknown said...

Its so hard to lose a pet. I still get teary when I think of Roxanne. I know she is still watching over us and I think Callie will be there for you and Mike as well. Callie was a great cat and for the short time she was hear, you gave her the best possible life she could ask for. She was loved. ((hug))

Krista said...

I am so sorry to hear about your baby :o(

*hug*

Andrea said...

I'm sorry ....

Kristina said...

Laura, you know we are all here for you. You are a very strong woman with a huge heart. Callie is the luckiest kitty to have had you for a mom. Not eveyone would have gone to the length you did to care for her. :)

Val Duffinger said...

Laura, I'm so, so, so sorry.

M. said...

I am so sorry. I cried reading this entry. I know you love Callie and always will, just take comfort in the fact you gave her the best life she could have ever asked for and you and Mike are amazing Pet Parents doing what's right, even if it's hard, is still the right thing.

Jen said...

I've been following your story. Again, I'm so sorry for your loss. Goodbye, sweet Callie.

Dana Fredsti said...

Laura, my heart goes out to you and your husband...and your beloved Callie. We lost our little boy to dry FIP about three weeks ago and you put into words how I felt the first time we came home without him there to greet us... i hope you can get to the point where the memories make you smile more than they make you cry sooner rather than later...

Best wishes,
Dana

Brooke said...

Laura so sorry about poor Callie. At least you know she is no longer in pain and that she had a happy life with you guys, short as it was.
=(